I have been working on this project for a couple weeks now and I am proud to say it’s finally finished. I probably could’ve gotten it done a lot sooner if I kept focus, but you know how things get…right?
Now why put so much time and energy into a closet? Well our closet in the bedroom doesn’t have a door on it, and I have yet to find a way to put one on. There isn’t a lot of room for the door to swing without hitting the bed and there is a vent on the wall next to the closet opening, therefore I don’t want to cover with a sliding barn door… so as of now it’s just open. So it’s kind of an eyesore.
I want to avoid having ugly corners in my home, but spaces like this also need to be functional. So I gave this little closet an overhaul…and when I say little, I mean it’s tiny. It fits 3/4s of my boyfriends shirts. We have to stash his nice flannels and button downs (which he hardly wears) upstairs because there is no room here. Now, we can’t do much about increasing the space, but I can make it nicer to look at. Also, I am only 5′ 2″ so I don’t care for grabbing a stool to reach the shelf.
So the mission here is: Make it pretty and functional. No problem.
I am still on my huge budget so this also needed to be an affordable update (my dream built ins are out of the question here). The least expensive option would be to rip down the wallpaper and paint. Well, I attempted taking down the wallpaper (I think there was 3-4 layers)…got half way through and gave up on that idea. It was taking forever and it was the LAST bit of wallpaper to take down in the house…so yeah, screw that.
We were very grateful to receive a bunch of free tongue and groove cedar planks from my previous employer awhile back. I was able to use these as my “shiplap”. So the only things I needed to purchase for this project was paint, a 1 x 4 board, and nails for the nail gun. (I had the cedar planks, stain, screws, and tools which are all necessary to complete this project)
I used a dark walnut stain.
The image on the left is the tongue of the board. The image on the right is the groove. Inserting the tongue inside the groove the other board will lock them together. (In case you haven’t noticed, I am in no way, shape, or form a hand model of any sort.)
Obviously, I hung the boards before painting. This way would avoid having paint carefully next to the ceiling since I wasn’t adding any moldings, SO paint before doing the ceiling!
This one is a bit more difficult to explain, but if you have questions: comment, e-mail, or Facebook message me!
NOTE: I am not setting anything heavy on this shelf, if you plan to, you will need more support.
Again, if you have any questions feel free to comment, message me on Facebook @ myfarmhousefixerupper or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for reading and I hope you like it as much as I do!! 🙂
I apologize for my lack of posts…again. I accepted an offer as a kitchen designer, so I have been a busy bee this past week training.
This spring I’m on an extremely tight budget, therefor I couldn’t decorate a whole lot (I mean tighter than any budget I’ve been on before). Although I haven’t been one to decorate my entire house seasonally, I was hoping to do more with this season… but oh well, stick to what you can afford! 🙂
This spring I added florals, greenery, decorative eggs, birds, and punches of color here and there. I also did a lot of spring cleaning, decluttering, and rearranging. You may notice the sofa has been moved in front of the window and my magnolia table is has been brought to the front porch. I feel this arrangement provides a great layout.
Thanks for checking out my spring décor! 🙂